Dragaera

Map and RPGs

Wed Jun 5 08:51:45 PDT 2002

I think charging for an RPG falls in the same category as buying a
hardcover; it depends if you think it's worth it but I agree: A Dragaera
RPG should be free and if it ever got the point where the web page
cost $$$ to run, I'd be willing to donate cash to the effort.

It doesn't make much difference what RPG system you use, I think. I
prefer GURPS myself but anything that works is fine.

So someone is going to make maps of the place, eh? I remember reading in
Dzurlord that Dragaera was the same general shape as Europe, only twice
as large with the Empire covering about a 1/3 of it, if that helps.
Perhaps Steve can enlighten us a little?

On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 10:42 AM, Starshadw at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/4/2002 9:58:13 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> skzb at dreamcafe.com writes:
>

>> I hear stories about writers losing copyright over stuff like this.  I
>> dunno.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as no money is changing
>> hands, it
>> doesn't bother me.
>>

> -nodding-  Yes.  Let me be perfectly clear about this - anything I did
> as far
> as an RPG goes - website, maps, etc. - would belong to you.  Anything
> ever
> created by anyone playing in said game would also belong to you.  I/We
> would
> own nothing.  Frankly, if you ever found anything useful, it would be
> flattering.  I don't see that happening since there is no way possible
> for us
> to ever know your world as well as you - my anal-retentiveness demands
> that I
> remain as close to "canon" as possible so the first step would be to
> re-read
> the books carefully and take notes on how things "function" in your
> world.
>
> One thing that I would be certain to do would be to put your copyright
> notice
> on the website, along with a statement to the effect that everything and
> anything belonged to you.  -thinks-  We might even be able to create
> something along the lines of an agreement that people had to agree to in
> order to be able to play (like the software licenses where you have to
> click
> the "I Agree" button).  Believe me, I have no desire nor intention of
> taking
> away your copyright.
>
> I would never exact a charge to anyone who wanted to role-play.  The
> only
> thing I can see ever coming up would be that if suddenly this thing
> took off
> and the website got so enormous it was costing beaucoup bucks to keep
> it up
> (I know several fan-related websites that are this big and are in
> trouble
> because their owners never thought about this until it was too late.  I
> know
> one person whose site costs them $200/month due to its size and the
> amount of
> traffic).  In that case, I might ask for all of us (by "us" I refer to
> those
> participating in the game) to help chip in with the cost of keeping the
> website up and running.  But there would be no profit involved
> whatsoever.
> I've never understood how people could charge for role-playing, nor how
> people could sit there and pay for it.  To me, the nice thing about
> RPGs is
> that, once you have the basic books, you don't have to fork over more
> cash
> [...]
--------
Read The World at the Edge of Time, my new book!
http://homepage.mac.com/christurkel