Dragaera

oops. ebooks?

Michael S. Schiffer mss2 at attbi.com
Thu Jun 6 11:40:09 PDT 2002

At 08:34 PM 6/6/2002 +0200, Sander wrote:
>Steven Brust wrote:
> > At 06:26 PM 6/5/2002 -0500, Arin Komins wrote:
> >>Any chance we'll be seeing ebook versions of any of your books?
> >
> > I have no plans for anything like that.  I don't like them, so I don't
> feel
> > any inclination to go that way.
>
>Steve, as someone with a distinct loathing of eBooks, thank you for that!
>Though actually it isn't eBooks themselves I hate so much, as it is the
>way publishers handle them. Proprietary encrypted formats (which you can
>be certain not to be able to read 20 years down the road), often no way
>to copy/paste or print text... It's not good.

There are exceptions, though.  Baen is the big one of the major SF
publishers.  Fictionwise is also good (between the two of them, most of
Lois McMaster Bujold's stuff is available in open e-book
format).  (Fictionwise has also started selling encrypted books if it's the
only way to get it from the publisher, but I just ignore that half of the
newsletter.  :-) )  But yeah, most of the majors are stuck with a bad
model, in some cases because the final say is at a level above theirs.

Mike