Dragaera

"The time has come, the Walrus said

Starshadw at aol.com Starshadw at aol.com
Fri Jun 7 15:35:02 PDT 2002

In a message dated 6/7/2002 1:55:02 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
skzb at dreamcafe.com writes:

> Well, you left out wizardry.

Now you've gone and muddied the waters even more.  I thought that the use of
the word wizard was simply used as a term for those who are really, really,
REALLY good at sorcery???  Can you give us some idea, then, of what wizardry
is?

> But while I have no actual disagreement with you, you ought to know that,
> in my own head, I do not *want* these things precisely defined.  That
> doesn't mean if I object if you do, it just means that I won't.  While I
> confess to being a closet Aristotelian, I am still aware that, in the real
> world, things don't fall into the nice, neat, distinct categories we'd like
>
> them to.  Magic, especially, cannot be precisely defined, or it stops being
>
> magic.

I've always liked the ambiguity of Dragaeran (the world, not the race) magic
- it allows for the creativity of the practitioner.  If it was all clear-cut
and about memorizing spells, poor Morrolan would still be stuck in the Paths
of the Dead.  Which would have irritated me greatly, as he is my favorite
character.  Maybe I shouldn't say that. :)

Stacy