Dragaera

Teckla, etc

Michael S. Schiffer mss2 at attbi.com
Fri Jun 7 15:39:04 PDT 2002

At 05:34 PM 6/7/2002 -0500, Rachael Lininger wrote:
>On Jun 7, Chris Turkel said:
>
> >One of the first things you learn in lit class in college is that
> >sometimes you have to decide if the narrator is trustworthy or not. I
> >really like Vlad but I don't entirely trust him sometimes, I know there
> >are things he's not saying, glossing over or outright lying about.
> >Teckla is one of  those books where you have decide how truthful he
> >really is being.
>
>There are (at least) two kinds of unreliable narration: the ones where
>the narrator isn't seeing important things, and ones where the narrator
>is deliberately lying.
>
>Vlad is both dense and dishonest. So's Paarfi, in very different
>ways.
>
> >> It might be, of course, that the author does view the
> >> Cycle as a simple and unalterable physical reality, as
> >> Vlad almost describes it in _Taltos_ (though even Vlad
> >> says that a sufficiently strong person could move the
> >> Cycle -- and that raises the question: what kind of
> >> strength, and how much of it?).  I sort of doubt it,
> >> though.

> >God like strength, probably. The Cycle does seem simplistic, at least on
> >one level but then again, sometimes that's the way it is is the best
> >answer of all.

>Consider who he was, though: _even_ _if_ that were the case for
>Dragaera, Vlad might be able to do that sort of thing.

Cawti, too-- *if* she'd start to think about the problem as something other
than simply political and economic.  Consider that there's at least strong
circumstantial evidence that Devera is a god.  Devera has only one known
divine ancestor, her grandmother.  Now, who else do we know who's the
granddaughter of a being of that order (keeping in mind that the difference
between gods and demons is one of degree, not kind)?

Mike