Dragaera

Another Turn of Subject

corwin at mpls.cx corwin at mpls.cx
Fri Jun 7 16:17:47 PDT 2002

On 6 Jun 2002 at 22:21, books at bofh.com wrote:

> >At 11:46 PM 6/6/2002 -0500, Matthew Hunter wrote:
> >>
> >>Why do you dislike TECKLA?
>
> >*I* don't dislike TECKLA.  I'm actually rather proud of how that one came
> >out.  It's the one that I hear the complaints about, though.
>
> The thing that always got me is that _Jhereg_ seemed more Yendi'ish
> that _Yendi_.

Right, I get that too, but consider this:  _Yendi_ and _Jhereg_ are
both from the point of view of a very young man, even from the
point of view of his own race.  Given the lifespan of Vlad's race, the
difference in Vlad's age is probably signifigent to his understanding,
unravveling and spinning of the complex intregues with which he is
involved in either story.

I think, had _Yendi_ been written by Sethra, or even The
Sourceress in Green, threads of the plots described therein which
Vlad doesn't see at the time (and which he might never Grok)
would probably have been visable to her, and therefor, us.

Says me-  who may be wrong.