Dragaera

Spoiler protection

Wed Jun 12 06:36:33 PDT 2002

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:

>Nancy Thuleen <nthuleen at students.wisc.edu> writes:
>
>> At 23:45 -0500 11.6.2002, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>  > "Scott Ingram" <singram at videotron.ca> writes:
>>  >
>>  > > Okay, I think we're going to need a little more spoiler space than THAT.
>>  >
>>  > Ah.  That was a standard form-feed spoiler space; should be guaranteed
>>  > to produce a complete blank page, on any non-broken mail reader.
>>
>> Hmmm ... my newsreader interprets spoiler characters just fine, but my mail program (Eudora Mac) does not, apparently.  I just got one blank line, which did seem a bit skimpy for any spoiler "space".  Are spoiler characters really a standard for email as much as they are for Usenet?  If so, Eudora is "broken", I guess.  :(
>
>Formfeed is a standard ASCII character that means advance to the next
>page.  If the program doesn't, that sounds pretty broken to me.

Emacs rmail didn't do anything with it either, which really surprised
me, because I know that ctrl-l works in gnus. There was a long
discussion of this in rec.arts.sf.fandom recently, and the consensus
was that we needed to actually insert 20 blank lines before any
spoilers.

Also, about one month being long enough--I've been in several
newsgroups where we were discussing television, and people from
different countries would be 1 or 2 seasons behind. We'd put up
spoiler warnings on a new episode for at least a year, and it didn't
stifle discussion.

--
Adina