Dragaera

How did you discover ... ?

Thu Jun 13 19:24:10 PDT 2002

At 18:43 -0400 13.6.2002, Thomas Yan wrote:

 > I'm curious.  How did you discover Steve's books, and how did you
 > learn of this mailing list?

I was in 7th grade in 1983 and reading everything I could get my hands on
[1] -- mostly sf and fantasy with the occasional mystery.  In one of my
trips to the bookstore with a gift certificate, I picked up Jhereg because,
as another poster said, it looked like the kind of fantasy I was enjoying
(I think my other favorites at the time were Thieves' World, Darkover,
Randall Garrett, and a year or two later, Zelazny).  I loved the
irony-laden 1st-person narration, and picked up everything else I saw by
Brust from then on.  I somehow missed The Gypsy when it came out, and I
never saw To Reign in Hell until Orb reissued it, but just about everything
else I read as it was published.  My tastes have matured a bit, but I've
found more and more to love about Steve's books, so at this point I'd call
him one of my top 3 or 4 favorite authors.

Like others, I saw DDB announce this list on rasfw, so I signed up; I'd
been in the habit of checking Steve's webpage now and then, but rasfw got
the news to me more quickly.

 - Nancy.

1: 'voracious' is hardly descriptive enough: my rate was around 6 books a
week, if I recall correctly ... how I wish I could still keep that up!