Dragaera

[Issola] Cute

Mon Jun 17 17:26:08 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Yan" <tyan at twcny.rr.com>
To: <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Issola] Cute

> [Sorry Scott, for previously misdirecting my reply.]
>
> "Scott Ingram" <singram at videotron.ca> writes:
> > "Thomas Yan" <tyan at twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>
> + There are mind reading techniques, i.e. ways to fairly directly
>   finding out what another person is feeling and thinking.
>
> + So there might be less motivation for developing methods for
>   indirectly deducing emotions and thoughts from facial expressions,
>   body language, and actions.

One motivation is the pursuit of courtesy, and everything that implies (See
conversations between Vlad and Teldra).  Also, common use of psionics is
very recent, even in The Phoenix Guards psionic communication required a
special device, and was unheard of by most of the characters in the book.

> Except that there are also techniques for blocking mind probes, and
> the Empress obviously is good at accurately deducing thoughts without
> using mind readings.
>
> > > *** Spoilers for Issola ***

> Sethra say, p38, the Jenoine are "filled with lust for this power, and
> hatred for those who destroyed their brethren -- or so I believe[.]
> Who [...] might protect us from this jealous and angry species [....]".
>
> - tky

I think Sethra is very confused with regard to the Jenoine, and honestly, it
seems that encounters with the Jenoine are so few and far inbetween that
even Teldra, with her one limited encounter, has perhaps greater insight
than millenia-old Sethra.