Dragaera

Odd Ref Books (was: Book Ref for Steve)

Tue Jun 18 18:39:04 PDT 2002

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 09:33 PM, Ian sympatico wrote:

> [...]
It's called "The Fall of Constantinople 1453"
By Steven Runciman
Cambridge University Press
ISBN 0-521-039832-0

It paints a sad portraits of how the mistakes by the Byzantines in the
centuries before the fall only hastened their demise and that if if any
one mistake had not been made, Constantinople might have lasted a few
centuries longer.

Also interesting is the last Emperor, Constantine, was the right man for
the job--he was just born about 250 years too late.
------
Chris Turkel
Guru, Dragaera Readalong List
http://dragaera.info