Dragaera

Dragaeran Gender Equality??

Lisa Grant Coffin lisa at spindot.com
Wed Jun 19 21:36:32 PDT 2002

Starshadw at aol.com wrote:
> I can't for the life of me decide.  My concern is for the nobility -
> is it strictly a father-son inheritance (with those rare exceptions
> where a woman gets her hands on a title, but then must follow the
> rules and pass it on at her death to the eldest male heir)?  Or are
> Dragaerans equal in that a woman can hold a title in her own right,
> even if she has brothers/uncles/other male relatives who could also
> hold it?

<snip>

this is just a guess. given the manner in which women live in the Empire,
wielding swords, serving in battalions, acting as Warlord, etc; coupled with
the Aliera-as-Heir and Norathar-as-Heir scenarios, i would draw the
conclusion that nobility inherences are not gender based. the only anomoly i
have thus far seen within this context is the example of the Jhereg
organization. there seems to be a gender-based deliniation in employment
status. aside from Kiera, and a few assassins we know, most of the women in
this organization appear to be sorceresses in the Left Hand.

lisa grant coffin