Dragaera

"Fantasy" Films

Randi128 at aol.com Randi128 at aol.com
Thu Jun 27 10:59:59 PDT 2002

I have to put my two cents in on this one. I still watch Dragonslayer
everytime it's run on tv. I also liked Conan, Time Bandits and Road Warrior.
There have been many fantasy films done over the last twenty years that were
at the very least entertaining.  I agree that there has not been any that go
to the scope of Lord of the Rings, but they do make a good effort.  Let us
remember that digital effects and computer graphics have come a long way and
we should be seeing many more quality pictures in the near future. I have
been disaapointed with many of the recent releases, namely Starship Troopers.
A great book could have been made into a great movie. The director and
producers chose instead to adapt the book to fit their budget. It did'nt work
and was horrible. It is my opinion that fantasy and science fiction books do
not translate well to the big screen because of cost constraints when
designing sets and props.