Dragaera

"Fantasy" Films

Thu Jun 27 11:53:12 PDT 2002

*delurk* *wave* Greetings, all.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:59:59PM -0400, Randi128 at aol.com wrote:
> It is my opinion that fantasy and science fiction books do
> not translate well to the big screen because of cost constraints when
> designing sets and props.

While I think that is certainly a factor, imo the main reason behind any bad
sf/f movie (whether it is being made from a book or not) is the same reason
behind a bad movie of any genre: crappy script-writing, poor plot structure,
and the general disregard of audience intelligence by the movie production
industry (i.e., "as long as this movie has enough action scenes,
scantily-clad people, and cool one-liners, the audience won't notice the
complete and utter lack of believable plot and cerebral value").

Kat