Dragaera

the next vlad book?

Wed Jul 17 14:04:47 PDT 2002

Gaertk at aol.com writes:

> Be patient, Brust is worth the wait.  [...]
-snip-

How many books do you all read anyway?  I guess I average about one
book per week, including rereading books.  In 1999, I read about 80
books, but that was unusually high for me.

> Here's some other fantasy authors I enjoy:  Tolkien,
> Pratchett, Robin Hobb (aka Megan Lindholm), Jo Walton,

Heh, I liked the "a vanished Lindholm" throwaway line in Pamela Dean's JG&R.

> Diane Duane, and GRR Martin.  Be warned that the Wheel of
> Time starts going downhill after book 4.
-snip-

Some additional fantasy authors I enjoy (not necessarily similar to
Brust): P C Hodgell, Laurell K Hamilton, Diana Gabaldon, Patrice
Kindl, Tove Jansson, Robin McKinley, Philip Pullman, Norton Juster,
Jules Feiffer, Susan Cooper, Pamela Dean, Zenna Henderson, Patricia
McKillip, Sheri S Tepper, Orson Scott Card.  If you've been avoiding
Harry Potter because you think it's just marketing hype, you should
give it try, and keep in mind that the first book is the weakest.

I liked _Dhalgren_ by Samuel Delany a lot, but I liked the joke Arthur
Hlavaty relayed in response to Jo Walton's Scintilla fanzine:

    Answer: Absolute zero, the center of the Sun, and the end of Dhalgren.
    Question: Name three things man will never reach.

    -- from http://www.bluejo.demon.co.uk/reviews/scintilla/scint1a.htm

Also, I recommend giving Dorothy Dunnett a try.  It's historical
fiction, but reads to me a lot like fantasy.  But do be warned that
she likes to narrate from the point of view of characters who don't
fully know what's going on, so you tend to be in the dark throughout
most of each book until all is revealed at the end...and possibly
subverted [1] in the next book.

[1] That's not the right word.  Overturned or superceded might be
    better.

In general, there's lots of good SF out there, including books by Lois
McMaster Bujold, C J Cherryh (hi DDB!), Vernor Vinge, Neal Stephenson,
Raphael Carter, Jack Womack, plus many of the "fantasy authors" listed
above.

- tky