Dragaera

Vlad Interview Questions

Wed Jul 17 20:11:34 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 06:33:41PM -0700, Steven Brust <skzb at dreamcafe.com> wrote:
> >(Hmm. I wonder, would it be abusing the authorial metaphor too
> >much if the list collectively came up with some interview
> >questions for Vlad the next time he's caught with a tape
> >recorder?)
> I'd enjoy that.

Hmm, this seems promising.  So... what does the world want to
know about Vlad?

Steve, would you prefer to take them as they come, or should I
compile a list and get people to vote on questions to include or
the like?

Warning... spoilers below.

My motivations in coming up with these questions are primarily to
provide Vlad the chance to give interesting answers.  Bear that
in mind.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Some ideas to start with:

0) Is this thing on?   Testing, testing, 1 2 3...

1) You go through life-threatening adventures on a regular basis,
while the tales of your exploits are presented to others as witty
entertainment, even a measure of comedy.  Does this bother you?
Do you have anything to say, directly, to those people who are
following your adventures as an evening's passtime?  Are you
comfortable existing as a role-model for a generation of foreign
children?

2) What *really* happened to your finger?

3) No, no, the TRUTH about your finger?

4) How do you feel about being a fa-... oh, no, that would be
rude.

5) Are you aware that your "publisher" (or perhaps publicist?)
is working with another individual, one "Paarfi", whose tales are
in direct competition with yours?  (If so, is Paarfi perhaps
slated for elimination? ;))

6) In some of your tales, you have mentioned suspicions that
your memory had been altered at some point.  You have so far
failed to follow up on these allegations.  Did it slip your
mind?

7) There are a few scenes (before you met Cawti) which could be
read to imply a certain amount of romantic tension between
yourself and Kiera.  Any comment?

8) Following your realization concerning Kiera and Sethra, have
you given any further thought to the events early in your life
which brought you into contact with Sethra, Morrolan, et al?

9) Some of your fans have speculated that Kragar is Mario.
Does this speculation... concern you in any way?

10) There have been accusations that you are an unreliable
narrator, and occasionally shade the truth in your favor.
Any comment?

11) This next question is for the reptiles.  Is Vlad really as
smart as he thinks he is?

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)