Dragaera

Comfort Books

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Jul 19 10:52:35 PDT 2002

Mia McDavid <mia_mcdavid at attbi.com> writes:

> It's a bit of a digression, but if we're discussing comfort books I have
> to also mention Georgette Hayer's regency novels, Laurie King's
> Russell/Holmes novels, and anything Lord Peter.

Yes, one can't forget Lord Peter.  (Dorothy Sayers, for those not
already familiar with them).  Particularly of course the last two,
_Gaudy Night_ and _Busman's Honeymoon_.  And I recently steeled myself
to read the unfinished (posthumously completed by somebody else) book,
_Thrones, Dominations_, and was very pleasantly surprised (partly
because my expectations weren't too high going in).  It has a number
of absolutely wonderful scenes, and I didn't feel the overall shape
was too crude.

I'm afraid I've bounced off many of the other things cited as comfort
books here -- Eddings in particular.  I got 5 pages into an Eddings
book once.  So it's nice to be able to agree with something.

For me it's Heinlein, especially _The Rolling Stones_, and Doc Smith
(pretty much anything).  And Sayers.  And _The Mote In God's Eye_.
And _Dune_.  And Anthony Price and Patrick O'Brian and Peter
O'Donnell.  It occurs to me that there may actually be people here who
*don't know* about Peter O'Donnell's  Modesty Blaise books.  And even
W.E.B Griffin (recent-historical military stuff mostly).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net