Dragaera

Random thoughts and musings--SPOILERS

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Wed Jul 24 14:51:18 PDT 2002

In a message dated Wed, 24 Jul 2002 1:11:46 PM Eastern
Standard Time, Mia McDavid <mia_mcdavid at attbi.com> writes:

Spoilers for all nine Vlad books.

> Sethra was supposed to kill Vlad in his previous
> incarnation as Kieron's brother, but she didn't.  Hmmmmm.
> Sethra has been kind to Vlad all his life.   Hmmmmmm.

And partly from guilt.  Hmmmm indeed.

As for Sethra killing him, I believe the exact phrase was
"hamstring the yendi" which is pretty rude, since IIRC she
was addressing Vlad at the time.

> It's fun thinking about the SF implications implied in
> Issola.  Steve seems to be setting up a classic
> human-colony-stranded-on-alien-planet story.  It must have
> been an awfully well established colony--not only did they
> have pigs and hawks, they even brought in orca.

I would assume that if Brust meant pigs, he'd say pigs, not
kethna.

> If Dragaerans are in sixteen tribes by bloodline and one
> tribe (Jhereg) of mixed-blood outcasts, where did the 31
> tribes before Kieron come from?

The Jenoine mixed human genes with those of 31 speicies of
animals.  Fifteen of the results died out before Kieron's
time.

> How did Pathfinder come to allow itself to be imprisoned
> in a false sword and retrieved by the S in G?

Minor correction: it was picked up by S the Y, not S in G.

Speaking of Great Weapons, we've seen a proto-GW kill
someone whose soul became a central (maybe neccessary)
part of the result.  And we saw the disguised Pathfinder
kill someone right before Aliera got it (for Dragaeran
values of "right before").  Hmmmmm.  Wanna bet we see
Blackwand kill someone right before Morrolan gets it?

--KG