Dragaera

Overcast, clue-by-fours

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Fri Aug 2 18:54:08 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Steve Simmons wrote:

>Thomas Yan writes:
>
>> Gaertk at aol.com writes:
>>
>> > . . . No idea.  I remember a whole bunch of things confusing me in
>> > _Jhereg_: the Interregnum, Cawti, "humans", etc.  I think it
>> > took me half the book to figure out why it was funny for
>> > Loiosh to ask to eat the Teckla.
>>
>> Er, you mean because jhereg eat teckla and carrion?
>
>I had the same reaction as gaertk -- when Loiosh asked if he could eat
>the teckla, I though he was referring to eating a Dragaerean.

But he was.  Wasn't he?

House Teckla are Dragaerans who are intimidated and exploited by
House Jhereg, and teckla are small furry animals that jhereg eat.

Usually you can tell them apart by the first letter being capitalized,
sometimes you need to have the context.  The humor arises from
deliberately confusing the context.

I mean, it's the same low humor that human males might get from
talking about a girl named "Candy".  Hur hur hur.