Dragaera

Overcast, clue-by-fours

Mon Aug 5 19:48:08 PDT 2002

Chris Turkel <zizban at adelphia.net> writes:

> > Hm.  I don't remember one way or the other: Are there any moons?
>
> Tides have been mentioned, which infers the presence of a moon. Tides
> without a moon (with just a sun) would be very small, akin to those
> found on lakes.

Good point.

But here's a didactic grammar nitpick: [Tides imply] or [We can infer
>from tides] the presence of a moon, but tides, presumably being
non-sentient, do not infer anything at all.  As my linguistics
professor liked to say, quoting his advisor, "Linguists have more fun
than people.". <-- Yeah, yeah, I know; I hate standard style
guidelines for how quotes interact with punctuation because it can be
[highly confusing] / [wrong] in technical settings, I so I usually use
logical rather than stylistic formatting.

- tky