Dragaera

Overcast, clue-by-fours

Wed Aug 7 23:32:05 PDT 2002

I must have been holding my eyes just right on this re-read of Phoenix, but
I just caught Steve's commentary on the publishing industry and it's
hilarious.

Starting on pg. 257 of Phoenix in The Book Of Taltos:

"...eight or ten who keep it pretty well locked up."

"There's a woman named Aisse. I wouldn't work with her though... She never
seems to know quite what she's doing. And when she does, she never lets the
musicians know. Word is she lies a lot, especially when she screws up."

"D'rai keeps you working, but she'll also get a hold on you and try to keep
everything you play sounding the same."

"The best of the lot is an outfit run by three Easterners named Tomas,
Oscar, and Ramon."

I've figured out who the three I listed above are, but my question to others
more observant than me is who are Phent ("...who doesn't lie quite as much,
but he's about as incompetent and he charges twice what everyone else
does.") and Greenbough ("He's not too bad when he isn't drunk.")

It's finding stuff like this on the tenth re-read that is one of the things
that makes these books so cool!

Ken