Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Wed Aug 14 20:58:02 PDT 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> I'm reasonably sure that the Mandarin word that she translated expresses
> her true meaning pretty precisely.  Unfortunately, the English word
> "complicated" didn't (and, in fact, there isn't an English word that I'm
> aware of offhand that _would_ capture the meaning she intended).  So
> confusion ensued until I realized that what she meant wasn't what I was
> hearing.

Well, this is evident to any anime otaku as well *g*  If you know ANY
Japanese and watch subtitled anime, you can see that the english
translation doesn't exactly match the original Japanese
message.  Especially where it pertains to suffixes (-sama, -san,
-chan).  One anime translated "-sama" to "princess", "-san" to Mr./Miss,
and "-chan" to "-ster", as in "Hikaru-ster".  Doesn't capture all the
dimensions.  There are many, MANY language barriers, that have developed
as a result of languages growing with people from different perspectives.

******
NyteMuse

"Call her life unnatural, feel her undead breath.
Color her black for sorcery, color her gray for death."
AIM: NyteMuse139 / ICQ: #21966269 (NyteMuse)
MSN: NyteMuse / Yahoo!ID: NyteMuse
http://www.crowfire.com