Dragaera

OT: Subjectivity vs. Objectivity (was: bois...)

Steve Simmons scs at di.org
Wed Aug 14 21:27:04 PDT 2002

Frank Mayhar writes:

> On the Nature website I read today that researchers have begun to
> understand a gene which has a pivotal role in human language.

Assuming they are correct, the features that gene expresses are well-
described in the wonderful and highly recommended book `Grammatical
Man' by Jeremy Campbell.

> . . . how can you say that
> language is truly subjective?  We are getting close to a truly objective
> understanding of the mechanisms that underly language.

The latter sentence does not imply the former.  We're getting to a
good understanding of the mechanisms that underly music, but response
to it will always be subjective.
--
It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities,
without hour help.