Dragaera

OT: language (was: Sethra Lavode...)

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Thu Aug 15 09:26:21 PDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Mark Tiller wrote:

	[Kat]
#>That is true...I know I think more in images and pictures and stuff
#than in words.  Sometimes, when I grasp a concept or >get an idea, it
#can take me up to 10 minutes to put it into words.
#
#Pictures, Sounds, Feeling are the mode of the Subconcious, that's what
#it works in, and since creativity is a function of the subconcious
#that's why you have to "translate" to words which are used by the
#concious mind.

Oh, I disagree on that! I think in pictures and spatial relationships
when I'm trying to fit things into spaces, like packing luggage into my
car. I think in sounds when I'm composing a song or trying to work out
chords to fit a tune. I think in feeling when I'm deciding what to wear
and considering fit and comfort. And all these thought processes are as
conscious as what I do when I think in words to compose a paragraph like
this one. The difference is that in order to communicate the first three
to another person, I usually have to translate them into words: to
*communicate*, not to *think*. And that's "usually", not "always". If I
were collaborating on packing with someone I shared no language with, we
would use nonlinguistic gestures. If I were working on a song with
someone, I'd say, "How about this?", and play what I was thinking of.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
   Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
   http://world.std.com/~mam/Cracks-and-Shards/
   a Steven Brust Dragaera fan website