Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Chris Olson - SunPS Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 15 09:40:40 PDT 2002

> >  but who
> >cares.  Language is subjective, like all things.
>
> Oh, how splendid!  An argument!
>
> <rubs hands together with glee>

Uh oh, Nytemuse, what did you start now?!?

> As for English, well, consider that you and I pretty much agree, at least
> in general, on what "subjective" means, and that, if we didn't, we'd be
> unable to have this delightful discussion.  While it is clear that not all
> words in English have exact, precise meanings in which all nuances are
> completely understood and agreed upon by everyone, there are two things I
> believe--
> 1) The more any given group agrees on the meaning of a word, the better
> they are able to exchange ideas.
> 2) The more we have words available that make clear, nice distinctions, the
> more precisely, elegantly, and, ultimately, creatively we are able to think.

I believe I agree.  At any rate, I've always felt it
would be better to create new words for new concepts and
ideas, rather than change the meaning of old words.
At the same time, words are constantly being "slanged",
and new definitions are being forced onto sometimes long-standing
words.

I think, because of a lack of understanding of actual definitions,
people generaly don't know what a word is supposed to mean, and
only knows its definition by its source or the definition a reader/
user will give to it at the time.  Someone reading the word
"subjective" might not know the actual definition, and may assume
it has something to do with, say, the subject of a sentence.

It doesn't help, either, that different dictionaries can offer
slight variations of definition. (A friend of mine just bought
(from a bookstore-owner friend) the "OED" - Oxford English Dictionary.
20 VOLUME set.  For those SERIOUS english majors!!:)

I do agree with Brust's two points above.  It would be immensly
easier (and, imo better) if we agreed on the meanings of words,
and if they made those clear, nice distinctions...  <sigh>  Wishful
thinking, I know...

:)
Chris
"So farewell hope, and with hope, farewell fear,
 Farewell remorse!  All good to me is lost;
 Evil, be thou my Good"
	- John Milton - 'Paradise Lost'