Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Thu Aug 15 11:11:39 PDT 2002

<Assuming a back-to-back stance with DDB as, together and alone, we prepare
to fight off the ravaging hoards, ready to die bravely with Strunk & White
in our hand and a pronoun in our mouth.>

At 03:03 AM 8/15/2002 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>Steven Brust <skzb at dreamcafe.com> writes:
>
> > "Language is subjective, like all things."  Well, in the first place,
> > we're simply going to have to disagree about all things being
> > subjective.  In fact, I believe that there is an objective reality,
> > and that we will never understand it fully does not relieve us of the
> > responsibility to try.
>
>Reality is what causes our nose to hurt when we attempt to treat a
>wall as subjective.

Oh yes, very nice.

>Aspects of language take place outside any one individual, and in that
>sense are not completely subjective.  (Like the *other* individuals
>you wish to communicate with.)

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

>In the first case, personal opinion, there's not that much relevance
>to what other people think.  In the other case, consensus reality,
>it's useful to be in step with other people, particularly as to word
>usage.  And yet both are pretty subjective.  We can watch words change
>their meanings just because people decide they have.

Okay, that makes sense.