Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Thu Aug 15 16:56:31 PDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Steven Brust wrote:

#I have often closed my eyes and called up a pleasing picture.  That is not
#thinking, that is exercising my memory.  If I make conclusions about that
#picture, such as, "I'd like to go back to that beach," or, "I wonder what
#she's up to today?" I am thinking.  But sometimes--often--those pictures
#merely call up emotion, they bring with them feelings.  That is *feeling*
#it is not *thinking*.

Now suppose you're planning a day at that beach as part of a road trip.
You know the roads in the area pretty well, but you'll be driving there
>from a different place than you usually do. You start figuring out how
to get from point A to point B. What goes on in your mind?

When I do that, my -- well, not to bias the discussion I'll say "what
goes on in my mind" includes
 - images of parts of the road as I see them when driving
 - muscle-memories of making turns (not exactly of turning the wheel,
but of the car as an extension of my body, so not exactly "muscle"
either)
 - partial maps
 - fragments of sentences like "If I turn there", except that I'm not
sure the words "turn there" are part of it; more like "If I [visual and
kinesthetic sketch of making the turn]"
 - and probably more kinds of thing.

Now, I contend that all of those are parts of my thought process. The
only parts there that I'm sure are linguistic are connectives,
conditionals, and the like, the most abstract pieces of the logic. Most
of the rest is in other forms.

-- Mark A. Mandel