Dragaera

OT: Subjectivity vs. Objectivity (was: bois...)

Fri Aug 16 03:12:14 PDT 2002

At 10:19 AM 8/16/2002 +0100, Mike Scott wrote:

>Steven Brust said:
> > At 07:40 AM 8/16/2002 +0100, Mike Scott wrote:
> >>
> >>You certainly need sharp knives to be available. But shall I come and
> >> put a razor edge on your butter knife?
> >
> > No one is suggesting you do so.  I like butter knives as they are,
> > that's  why I have them.  And I have as many as I want; there is no need
> > to turn my  Chef's knife into another one.
>
>You certainly seem to be suggesting that imprecise constructs such as
>"hopefully" have no place in the language, and that only precise ones
>should be allowed. My position is similar to your position on knives -- I
>like both of them, as long as they're used for an appropriate task.

I am suggesting that English is already so well supplied with imprecise
formulations that adding more is absurd.  Introducing changes that make it
easy and natural to be imprecise is not something I can conceive as being a
positive change.