Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Fri Aug 16 17:58:59 PDT 2002

SKZB wrote:

>I believe that the learning of a skill
>involves (in part) learning the language associated with that skill.
That
>was my point.

This ties in nicely with a thought that occurred to me once while I was
studying biology.

A *huge* (but not, admittedly, total) portion of a doctor's knowledge
and skill lies in terminology.  If she can name every part of the human
body, she therefore knows (at least in terms of existence and location)
about every part of the body.  If she can name the hormones, enzymes,
glands, etc., this too is essential medical knowledge.  Vocabulary is
the bulk of the skill.  The rest is observation--learning to recognize
the vocabulary "in the flesh".  Even here, the memory skills necessary
to hook the pieces of knowledge together--yellow sclera means bile
buildup; check liver functions--will greatly assist the doctor in making
good use of clinical experience.

Mia