Dragaera

Swords, and a tolerable acquaintance with their length

Sun Aug 18 17:13:31 PDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 05:06:27PM -0400, Rick Castello <rick at 404.978.org> wrote:
>      Further consider:  Noish-Pa told Vlad in _Jhereg_ that he could
>      teach him nothing else of witchcraft, and to increase his
>      abilities as a witch, Vlad would need to get a familiar.
>
>      If we consider Noish-Pa to be an accomplished witch of great
>      skill who has taught Vlad everything he can (and we take it as
>      fact that Vlad has actually *learned* all that Noish-Pa has
>      taught him of witchcraft), then I think it's fair to say that
>      Vlad is an accomplished witch.

While I agree that Vlad is an accomplished witch, we can't assume
that he is on an equal level with Noish-pa just because Noish-pa
says he can't teach him anything else.

In effect, that statement means that Vlad has finished his
apprenticeship as a witch, and has to complete his initiation
(obtain a familiar) and go out on his own.  There are two
ways to take this -- as a journeyman period, prior to
becoming a master witch, or as a graduation straight to
master witch.

Since Vlad is offered a half-interest in Noish-pa's shop, I think
we can discard the journeyman possibility.

However, being a "master witch" doesn't make him equal to
Noish-pa.  Neither of them are students or children, and that is
most likely all that that comment refers to.  Vlad needs to gain
experience on his own to mature in witchcraft.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Homepage: http://matthew.infodancer.org/index.jsp