Dragaera

OT: Subjectivity vs. Objectivity (was: bois...)

magical truthsaying bastard roney! rone at ennui.org
Wed Aug 21 20:58:25 PDT 2002

Michelle Goepp writes:
  --- magical truthsaying bastard roney!
  <rone at ennui.org> wrote:
  > Let's face it: we're lazy speakers.
  Of course we are.  If one tried to refine, simplify,
  and most clearly express every thought verbally, our
  conversations would last hours rather than the 15
  minutes our boss allows us.  Or, in the case of some
  of my acquaintences, weeks.  We would then speak as we
  thoughtfully write (as opposed to quickly write, such
  as IM-speak).

  Being lazy, therefore, saves time at the expense of
  clarity, using common phrases and assumptions to
  communicate in an almost shorthand form of the
  language.

If one speaks lazily at the expense of clarity, one will more often
than not need to be more specific.  So the time you saved will
disappear.  "Penny wise and pound foolish," i think it's called.

rone
--
{Reagan's} presidency always reminded me of a remark made by a woman to
Heywood Broun following Secretariat's victory in the Triple Crown.  After the