Dragaera

Evolving language

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Aug 22 09:05:58 PDT 2002

Mark A Mandel <mam at theworld.com> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Sunny Han wrote:
>
> #However, programming languages are similar to natural languages in that they
> #started very simple, only what programmers need it, but with routes for
> #expansion as well.
>
> There is no evidence whatever that natural languages ever "started very
> simple", unless you accept texts such as Genesis 2:19-20 as evidence.

There is also no evidence that anything with the depth and complexity
we associate today with "natural languages" leaped up full-blown --
and I must say it seems extremely unlikely.

But the lack of evidence should really interfere with it being cited
as evidence, yes :-).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net