Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Thu Aug 22 20:57:25 PDT 2002

At 08:36 PM 8/22/2002 -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
>Steven Brust wrote:
> > > during
> brain
> > >
> > >In a word, nothing.  "Thought" _is_ the release and reuptake of
> > >neurotransmitters, the electrical impulses transferred along the axons
> > >of neurons.
> >
> > That's like saying, "What distinguishes prose from random collections of
> > words?  Nothing.  Both are made up of letters."
>
>I, um, disagree.  Strongly.  The "other brain activity" you spoke of, as
>distinguished from "thought" is by no means random.

Ummm...that's sort of my point.

>   There are all kinds
>of "thought," from stuff we have no conscious knowledge of at all, through
>stuff that appears in our consciousness as if instantly full-blown, through
>stuff we are only dimly aware of, to the kind of thing I'm doing now, as I
>quite consciously order and interpret my thoughts to write them down in this
>message.

Perhaps I should use the term "cognition."  But, in any case, I don't see
how we can even talk about this unless we are able to distinguish between
what happens when, say, a random scent strikes my nose and I process it
without even being aware of doing so, and, on the other hand, the processes
that lead me to write this paragraph in exactly the way I did.  These seem
different in kind, not just in degree.  Or, if it is a matter of degree,
then quantity at some point transforms into quality, and that is just
another way of saying the same thing.