Dragaera

The *real* thing?

Mon Aug 26 12:54:26 PDT 2002

> Rachel Louise Ruhlen wrote:
> > I personally like reading the Khaavren romances more frequently than
> > Vlad (particularly the depressing stories...Teckla...)
>
> I just re-read the first 4 Vlad novels last week.  I remember being torn
up
> over Vlad and Cawti when I read it for the first time.  Now, in close
> succession and knowing a bit more of the 'lay of the land', I would argue
> that Teckla is _not_ depressing.  It is an integral piece of Vlad's story
> that shows how he got to the point in his life where the events of Orca
and
> Issola could happen.

Oh sure, in the context of the more recent books, it isn't that depressing,
but to read Teckla by itself and be left dangling...

Heh, actually I found it depressing AND I rubbed my hands with glee as Vlad
'gifted' her with authority over his Teckla area.  Quite the conundrum for
social activist Cawti. After all, she can't just ignore his 'gift' as
another Jhereg would take over the area... so, she'd be stuck operating
it... trying to be a 'politically correct' gangster, all the while knowing
that if she didn't have brothels or gambling dens, all the Teckla whom she
was trying to save from themselves, would just go elsewhere...

Man, I really didn't like her by the end of the book.  I can't wait to see
how St. Brust portrays her now.

-Scott