Dragaera

The *real* thing?

Mon Aug 26 17:51:13 PDT 2002

Steve Simmons wrote:

> Equally depressing is the fact that Cawti and group, while certianly on
> the moral high ground, are doomed to failure -- probably bloody failure.
> As Brust-speaking-through-Sethra says, this is basicly a `you can't get
> there from here' problem.  You (Dragaeraian society) has to get somewhere
> else first, and that place is generations away.

Could you really get there even in several generations?   Wasn't their a
Vlad-type observation in one of the books where he talks about Aliera
and Morrolan killing huge numbers of ordinary Easterners in a battle who
didn't have a chance against them?  Guess I'm wondering if you need a
precondition where masses of ordinary Teckla who would have a chance
against the noble Houses in a fight before the society could get to the
place where Kelly et al have a chance, or if the existence of magic
changes things too much.  Shrug - maybe Cawti should be investing the
proceeds of her territory in magic colleges for Teckla and Easterners?