Dragaera

Why doesn't anybody *win*?

Chris Olson - SunPS Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Fri Sep 6 15:29:48 PDT 2002

A bunch of people wrote stuff:
> >Yes, it was Issola, but the distinction doesn't work the way you think
> >it does.  What separates a God from a demon is that a demon CAN be
> >compelled.  If Bolk *requires* a master, then he CAN be compelled.
> >Therefore cannot be a god.  But he could be a demon.  The MUST doesn't
> >affect the situation either way.
>
> Didn't Morrolan (I think it was Morrolan) once explain to Vlad that a God is
> a God because it cannot be summoned or controlled, but if that God ever WERE
> summoned or controlled it would then be referred to as a Demon - such a
> statement seems to imply that the difference between Gods and Demons is one
> of semantics.

I can't recall if it was Morrolan or not, but yes, that
was stated.

As for Bolk:

I'm of the opinion that there is a great deal about
"Eastern" witchcraft that we've yet to be given information
on.  I would have to assume that Bolk is of a different
"class" of creature/god/demon than ones we've been told
of up to now.  I'd assume he/it came along with humans to
Dragaera, or humans found it upon reaching the world, and
that it is unrelated, at least on a minor scale, to Verra
and her troupe (heh) or the Necromancer and hers.  Bolk
is probably, IMO, neither god nor demon, but something else,
and is therefor not bound by the conventions of the other two
(necessarily).

Of course, with Brust's penchant for giving individuality
to his characters, be they mortal or not, nothing any of
them says can be taken as fact... <grin>

Chris

"So farewell hope, and with hope, farewell fear,
 Farewell remorse!  All good to me is lost;
 Evil, be thou my Good"
	- John Milton - 'Paradise Lost'