Dragaera

Gods, gods, demons, and monsters (spoilers for Issola)

Sun Sep 8 21:48:40 PDT 2002

Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

>> .  .  .  . Looking back, I can't find a a single
>> skill or power that we've seen from the gods which we haven't also
>> seen from at least one other resident of the Dragaeran world (Eastern,
>> Dragaeran, Serioli).  If anyone can cite such, it would be useful to know.
>
>Whatever happened to Aliera in _Taltos_, perhaps.

Damn, I must have missed that.  What specificly are you referring to.

>> .  .  .  One Jenoine is killed early on, one remains mostly aloof.
>
>Killed by the one being you forgot to list, the unclassifiable Devera in the
>form of a dragon.  Not the gods or the other powers.

Actually, I'd counted her as a god, and she enters at the same time as
the others (Issola 226).  You say she's "unclassifiable".  From all the
various things so far, I'd thought she was a god.  We haven't seen her
do simultanous manifestation (tho to tell the truth, we haven't seen that
of any of the gods).  She is the granddaughter of Verra, has the ability
to move back and forth widely in time . . . or maybe Aliera gives birth
to her far in the past . . . after all, Brust says Keiron is her father.
Anyway, why do you say "unclassifiable"?

>How much of what we saw was actually native Jenoine power, vs. Jenoine using
>sorcery thanks to their link to Adron's Sea?  It's impressive of course that
>they were so good at it with so little apparent practice . . .

My assumption was that they were using pre-Empire sorcery, which
apparently came from them.  When the Serioli built Godslayer, they'd
intended it for use against the gods.  At least some of the gods must
be users of pre-Empire sorcery, since they go back that far.  Pre-empire
sorcery was involved with the creation of the original Sea, so it just
make sense that Godslayer would be effective against it.

> . . . -- part of the reason for my speculation that the Jenoine origin
>resembles that of the angels in _To Reign in Hell_; they're familiar
>with iliaster/sorcerous power from way back.

Ohhhh, no, I'm not getting into one of those "all these universes can be
linked together" sort of things.  They're fun, but that way lies madness,
the presence of Devera notwithstanding.  :-)