Dragaera

Gods, gods, demons, and monsters (spoilers for Issola)

Tue Sep 10 14:18:20 PDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:00:33PM -0400, Steve Simmons wrote:
> Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>
>
> >The whole resurrection thing they go to the Paths of the Dead for?
> I could be dense, but IMHO this wasn't Aliera at all.  It was something
> Sethra did, and we know she's not a god.  Or were you driving at something
> else?

As MJ said, I was referring to the main plot of _Taltos_.  Vlad and Morrolan
going to the Paths to have Aliera resurrected by Verra, yes?

> There's good evidence time isn't what it seems in the plane of the gods.
> We meet Barrit there before he's dead, and he's darned unhappy about it.

True.

> One could minimise the whole time travel problem by assuming it's a
> one-off.  We see Devera in BROKEDOWN PALACE (pg 17), walking towards

It can't be.  Devera's stated existence requires much more.  Either Devera is
lurking around before she's been born, or as you suggest Aliera goes back in
time to have her.  But then there's still Devera dipping in time to watch
Miklos et al.

> She didn't.  Check the scene again.  The dark cloud took down the Jenoine,
> Devera got him when he was already unconcious or dead.  Which, now that I

Really?  Well, I can't check these days, no books.

> took the shorter if less detailed description.  And remember, Keiron is
> dead.  Perhaps Aliera has to travel back to his time to conceive and
> deliver?

Or Kieron had some trip forward in time he never told anyone about.  Or Kieron
comes alive out of the Paths.  Or gets reincarnated.

-xx- Damien X-)