Dragaera

Souls and Great Weapons

Steve Simmons scs at di.org
Mon Oct 7 12:22:07 PDT 2002

The idea that Morganti weapons have various strengths can lead to some
odd (and IMHO wrong) conclusions.

In use, a Morganti weapon (which I'm not confusing with a Great Weapon)
has one and only one effect -- it destroys the soul of the person cut
by it.  They come in various strengths, but the strength seems to be
irrelevant to the effect.

Vlad describes some Morganti weapons as practically screaming 'use me!
use me!'  I believe this is the strength referred to.  Take one in hand,
and you've got the urge to use it.

I like the theory that Morganti-taken souls go Someplace Else; it jibes
better with my own personal interpretation of 'soul.'

As for Pathfinder being successfully disguised by embedding it inside a
large, ordinary broadsword -- that's certianly consistant with the other
things we've seen about Morganti weapons.  Putting them in a sheath seems
to make their special characteristics almost undetectable.

Loraans experience is most easily explained by Morrolan having instructed
Blackwand not to take his soul.  Vampires, at least Dragaeran ones, have
their original souls.
--
'Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.'
   -- credited to various people, I heard it from Robert A Heinlein.