Dragaera

Souls and Great Weapons

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Oct 8 13:17:12 PDT 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Jose Marquez wrote:

>It occurs to me that Loraan could have been revivified by
>family/friends/servants, but as a necromancer, he might have desired
>practical knowledge that required him to become undead. Just a thought.

Hm.  I don't think he personally wanted to become undead, because it
appears that the undead have more vulnerabilities [1], and may be
weaker in general.  In fact, note that Loraan, while still alive,
managed to hold his own (for a while, anyway) against Vlad and an
expert swordsman & sorcerer (Morrolan), whereas after he became
undead, he wasn't doing very well against a severely injured Vlad and
2 Teckla children, with some assistance from a couple of jhereg.

[1] Although what was up with that Dark Water business, anyway?  Why
should it *matter* if plain, ordinary ground water has been exposed to
light or not?  Although it occurs to me that this may have been yet
another thing misunderstood (or miscommunicated) by Vlad - perhaps the
groundwater picked up traces of some particular mineral (necrophia?)
that was affected by light, and which also had sorcerous and/ or
necromantic properties.