Dragaera

Souls and Great Weapons

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Oct 8 13:18:38 PDT 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

>Steve Simmons writes:

>>Loraans experience is most easily explained by Morrolan having
>>instructed Blackwand not to take his soul.  Vampires, at least
>>Dragaeran ones, have their original souls.
>
>Um...isn't there something about how, to become a wizard, you have to
>stick your soul in an object (usually, a staff)?

I think it says bind your soul *to* an object.  Now, that might mean
*in* an object, but I doubt it.

>I mean, clearly, Morollan now has his soul protected by Blackwand, but
>might any more "ordinary" wizard be fairly immune to that effect of
>Great/Morganti weapons simply by being a wizard?

That's an interesting but unlikely notion.  Loraan was killed by a
Morganti dagger, and that was the end of him.  And if other ordinary
wizards were immune to Morganti weapons (or even ordinary weapons), I
think Vlad would have found that out by now.

The line about knives and cramping of style comes to mind...