Dragaera

Questions about genealogy & stuff

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Oct 14 18:15:58 PDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, M J wrote:

>>>Rollandar e'Drien was Morrolan's pop.  Mother's name was never
>>>given, but she's the one who kicked Rollandar's ass at some
>>>battle.
>>>Apparently their troops found great fun in musing upon their
>>>leisure activities.  This may explain why Morrolan is the ...

>>where was this ?  which book ?
>
>Ehrm.  It's never explicitly stated, but when Morrolan tells Aliera
>who he is in the Paths of the Dead (TAL, pg. something I forget),
>she said something along the lines of, "Yes, that's the right sort
>of name."  The only one we've seen whose name is close to
>"Morrolan" is "Rollandar," and there are lots of little clues, such
>as Castle Black having the wounded dragon painting that Kathana
>gave to Lord Rollandar.  I admit that's kind of specious --
>Morrolan could've bought it from someone else -- but it gels for
>me.

Morrolan's dragon painting was by the Necromancer, wasn't it?

See also:
  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=9hu8jr$4js@gap.cco.caltech.edu

I take your point about Morrolan's name & Rollondar, but I wanted
Steve to confirm it (or provide a correction), and tell us what
Adron's sister's name was.

>Besides, it amuses me to think of Morrolan seething in jealousy
>that his brother Molric got to be Adron's CHAINMAN, and he never
>even got to MEET Adron.

Is it stated that Molric is Rollondar's son?  I was looking for that,
but again, grepping dead trees is difficult.

(DDB?  Sorry to impose on you yet again, but.... )

I did find the line that says that Molric "would never meet his
brother", but it is not said that his brother was definitely Morrolan.

>>this is all in the brokedown palace, you meet both of his parents
>
>...  Really?  I'd thought we only saw Cawti's mother in BP...

*And* her father.  She's the bastard of a royal revolutionary; it
kinda makes sense that she would turn out to be noble (well, a Jhereg
title at any rate) and yet also a kicker-over of applecarts.  :-)

Something else I've been wondering is whether Dragons name their kids
according to the father's name or by the dominant lineage (although it
may be that the father's lineage is always the dominant one, I dunno).

So theoretically, if Morrolan (for example) marries someone of the
e'Terics line, and they have a child who takes after the mother, s/he
might be named [something] e'Terics rather than [something] e'Drien.

It would match up with the egalitarian character of Dragons, and would
also seem to imply that the ability to do genescanning goes back to
the founding of the Empire and the first Dragon lineages.