Dragaera

Questions about genealogy & stuff

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Wed Oct 16 00:29:54 PDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, M J wrote:

>David Silberstein wrote, because he felt like it:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, M J wrote:

[huge snippage]

>>>Besides, it amuses me to think of Morrolan seething in jealousy
>>>that his brother Molric got to be Adron's CHAINMAN, and he never
>>>even got to MEET Adron.
>>
>>Is it stated that Molric is Rollondar's son?  I was looking for
>>that, but again, grepping dead trees is difficult.
>
>Ayup.  Rollondar sez at one point in FHYA that "[my] eldest son is
>the Heir's chainman".

I found a couple corrborating quotes (or something like it): pg 141
(Khaavren goes to meet Adron the first time around).  Adron sez:
"To-day my cousin is Warlord, and his younger son is my chainman
[...]", and a little further on, Khaavren sez: " [...] Lord Rollondar
-- your cousin [...]"

I am curious to know if you misremembered the above, or whether
Rollondar really does say "eldest" in contradiction to Adron saying
"youngest".

(Also, on pg 137, it says that Molric e'Drien is Adron's nephew &
chainman).

>>I did find the line that says that Molric "would never meet his
>>brother", but it is not said that his brother was definitely
>>Morrolan.
>
>...  True.  I was about to say that "Well, gosh, Morrolan could've
>looked him up while they were in the Paths of the Dead," but then
>remembered that poor Molric has gone the way of the chaoticnessish.

I am not sure that chaos destroys the soul.  And we have evidence that
at least one soul remains intact within the Lesser Sea even to the
current point in time, so perhaps all of the other souls escaped as
well, and maybe Molric has already reincarnated.

>>Something else I've been wondering is whether Dragons name their
>>kids according to the father's name or by the dominant lineage
>>(although it may be that the father's lineage is always the
>>dominant one, I dunno).

>Doesn't square with Khaavren's assertion that daughters take after
>mothers and that sons take after their fathers, does it?  So, then,
>are sons named for their father's line, and then daughters are
>named for their mothe -- NO, BECAUSE OF ALIERA E'KIERON.

Ah, but Aliera is very unusual in more than one way.  So perhaps
she's different in her lineage & naming & whatnot as well.  But Steve
refuses to give clue one in that direction.