Dragaera

Morrolan: Just a Big Softy, Really?

Sun Nov 3 16:17:56 PST 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 04:00:40PM -0800, David Silberstein <davids at kithrup.com> wrote:
> Well, not exactly a *softy*.  We know he's arrogant and ambitious, and
> more than willing to kill when it comes down to a fight.  Yet I find
> myself wondering more and more whether he has actually used Blackwand
> to destroy anyone's soul.
>
> Vlad, of course, thinks Morrolan has, or would, perhaps because Vlad
> has committed Morganti murders himself, and figures that Morrolan is
> so much more badass than he himself is that it goes without saying
> that Morrolan would de-soul someone he was enraged at.

This is an excellent point.

Given the Empire's attitude towards Morganti weapons, I suspect
that ownership by a noble might well be tolerated, but use --
especially regular use -- would not be.  Great Weapons might be
matters of less hassle than ordinary Morganti weapons precisely
because they can choose not to devour the soul.  Furthermore,
Morrolan has shown in the past quite a bit of civility and
decorum even in matters of combat (cf the paths of the dead,
etc).  I doubt he is truly wroth with most of the people he
kills.  Offended, perhaps, but not enraged.

Vlad may well be the only one of his compatriots to have actually
used a Morganti weapon to destroy someone's soul, and it will
probably have interesting effects on him when he realizes this.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Homepage: http://matthew.infodancer.org/index.jsp