Dragaera

Tor books Web site abandoned?

books at bofh.com books at bofh.com
Wed Nov 13 00:20:10 PST 2002

>Karin Bassett wrote:
>
>I was wondering why I've found only a few contracts lately, everyone in my
>field is willing to 'work for food' Hmph There I go again thinking people
>get paid to do web work. Seriously though If I had to make a guess I'd say
>whomever it is who usually would take care of web things doesn't do that
>work anymore, hasn't thought about it in a really long time, or a
>combination of both. Sometimes when a employee leaves a company they take
>with them the knowledge of how to access the companies webserver which is
>more often than not 'out of house'

The most difficult part of any web site design/maintenance is simple:

Content

The problem is that the people generating the content in their
normal days doing their normal work are typically more interested
in doing their normal work than updating a website to let people
know what work they were doing.

The process of actually updating a website is normally pretty trivial,
and in the case of the Tor website (which I admire for it's simplicity)
it appears to me that the content people and the website people are
the same people, and are just too busy to be updating the website as
often as us, in the screaming masses, would like.

-Jot