Dragaera

New Brust Book? YAVN?

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sun Nov 17 17:56:43 PST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Steven Brust wrote:

[regarding "Yavn":
   http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765341549

   Yavn by Brust Steven
   Mass Market Paperback
   0 edition
   Language: English
   Tom Doherty ; ISBN: 0765341549
   Amazon.ca Sales Rank 88,717

]

>Good lord!  That is *weird*.  That was the working title of the book
>that eventually became ORCA, I think.  YAVN, of course, stands for
>Yet Another Vlad Novel.  Which now reveals how Savn got his name.
>
>But I'm very curious about how they came across that bit of arcana,
>and how it turned into a new book at this point.

Probably the same way that BINP has this:

   Title: The Paths of the Dead
   Author: Steven Brust
   Publication Date: April 1996
   Publisher: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC
   Imprint: Tor Books
   ISBN: 0-312-85579-6
   Item Status: Active Record
   Binding Format: Trade Cloth
   Bowker Subjects: FICTION_FANTASY_GENERAL
   General Subjects (BISAC): FICTION / Fantasy / General
   Dewey #: 813/.54

Yes, it says it was published in "April 1996".  No doubt they have a
copy that fell through a time warp.

Note that they *do* also have a record for the current, *real* book
(different ISBN, though).

They also have the following:

   Title: Untitled Steven Brust: Brust Fantasy