Dragaera

A question re: Begining Fantacy for Youth

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon Nov 25 07:16:15 PST 2002

At 18:09 11/24/2002 -0500, Thomas Yan wrote:
>"H. T." <electrictwilight at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Since it appears the majority of everyone that had typed in the
> > discussion of "fantasy" had began reading fantasy when they were still
> > young I thought I might ask what is appropriate for a young fantasy
> > reader?
> >
> > I have an 11-year old step-brother who very much enjoys fantasy, and
> > he has asked me what else there is in this genera to read.
>-snip-
>
>Pamela Dean's Secret Country trilogy; it is currently out of print,
>but will be reprinted in late 2003 by Firebird Books.

While written about children, I think Dean's books are aimed at an adult,
and very literate, readership.  I'm a grandfather, and _I_ have trouble
reading her novels, because of my lack of background in literature (only
one college course in Modern Literature).

I would think that many of the other novels being suggested are a bit
beyond the typical 11 year old.  A look at the "Young Adult" genre might
find a few gems, however.

How about Jane Yolen's two "Jenna" books, _Sister Light, Sister Dark_ and
_White Jenna_?  Yolen also edited a series of YA novels, which might turn
up some good books for kids, as well as authored many more herself.

Diane Duane has also written a series of novels aimed at the YA
reader.  The "Wizards" series starts with _So You Want to be a Wizard_, I
believe.

Patricia Wrede has also written a set of YA novels--the "Enchanted Forest"
starts with _Dealing with Dragons_.

I am assuming your step-brother has already been through Harry Potter, by
the way...

My own grandson, at 11, was still reading "Animorph" books, by the way.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net