Dragaera

Earthsea (was A question re: Begining Fantacy for Youth)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Mon Nov 25 09:37:15 PST 2002

Tucker <jazzfish at softhome.net> writes:

> > >I dunno... they're a little dry and slow-moving. Good, but maybe not great
> > >as an introduction to fantasy.
> >Umm... mileage definitely does vary.  *boggle*
>
> It's the density of the prose, I think. I didn't find them to be an
> easy read at all. (I enjoyed the first two immensely, the third less
> so, but they all took effort.) I'd be personally a little wary of
> using them as a first intro to fantasy, although definitely throw them
> at him later.

Very strange.  I loved them, a long time ago.  So much that, after
reading them many times, I finally bought the hardcovers.  I'm not
sure I read them as early as 11, but definitely before 18.   I found
them very easy, approachable, books, I'd have classified them as
excellent for YA and younger children.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net