Dragaera

A question re: Beginning Fantasy for Youth

Penney, Sean seanp at ea.com
Mon Nov 25 11:21:04 PST 2002

>	I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Card mentioned in his
>foreword that he wrote Ender's Game without intending to add any extra
>or hidden meaning to it, but instead it just happens to be one of those
>books that people will take away some meaning.
>In addition, I don't deny that there must be some sort of religious
>aspect to his works, he did grow up in Utah, and probably grew up with a
>certain amount of conscious and unconscious religious influences.

Card is a Mormon.  He served as a missionary in Brazil.  You can see it in the later books of the Ender sequence, and it's also evident in the Alvin Maker series, but not as preaching or recruitment speeches - not like Heinlein.

But I would not call any of it explicit or subversive - and I'm an atheist.  I think Erik is right - it's part of who he is and so it is naturally part of his writing.