Dragaera

A question re: Beginning Fantasy for Youth

Mon Nov 25 15:59:57 PST 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 06:02:28PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
> Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 05:53:21PM -0500, "Peter H. Granzeau" <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:
> > > At 12:02 11/25/2002 -0500, Casey Rousseau wrote:
> > > I have some sort of visceral response to the Donaldson books--so much so,
> > > that although I have picked one up and actually read the blurb, I have
> > > never been able to force myself to actually take it to the clerk and BUY
> > > it.  I have about the same reponse when faced with a book by John
> > > Norman.  With Norman, I can understand why I feel that way.  It seems that
> > > Donaldson just turns on my squick sensor.
> >                              ^^^^^^
> > You keep using this word.  I do not think it means what you think
> > it means.
> >
> > http://www.mich.com/~pnsnv/othershit/squick.html
>
> That is not the commonly-used definition of the term, though the act
> described there *would* squick most people.

It is the original definition, which was then adopted for lesser
acts.

> It's a much more general term, meaning pretty much "that allegedly
> sexual activity disgusts me".  Many people feel that way about Gor.

I am aware of this.  However, I was objecting to being "squicked"
by Donaldson without even reading past the blurb, much less by
anything that happens in the first Deryni trilogy.

There's more than enough in Donaldson to squick a small army, but
applying it to the first Deryni trilogy and the back-cover blurb
of Donaldson weakens one of the few remaining powerfully
evocative words.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Homepage: http://matthew.infodancer.org/index.jsp