Dragaera

A question re: Begining Fantacy for Youth

Mon Nov 25 18:48:59 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 17:26, H. T. wrote:

> Hummm, not sure at this. I tried giving him Lovecraft (one of my absolute
> favorites) and he thought it was too slow moving and he didn't understand
> all of the words.

This last bit isn't necessarily that bad of a thing.  One of reasons a
lot of parents and educators like to see kids reading is that it expands
their vocabulary.  And that only happens if they read books with a few
words they don't understand.   I can remember when I was a little older
than your step-brother and I used to always read with a big dictionary
right next to me.