Dragaera

A question on FHYA

Mon Nov 25 20:13:31 PST 2002

I've been rereading FHYA and noticed something a little odd.  Near the
end of the book, the last straw that causes Adron to go from waiting to
attacking is learning of the arrest of his daughter.  At the time Aerich
comments on how he'd like to know the details of the arrest, and Adron
confers and says that he will ask when he storms the city.

However, earlier in the book it is noted that Adron and Aliera are
capable of psionic communication with each other.  So, this leads me to
wonder, why didn't Aliera just tell her father what happened?  And why
didn't Adron try to communicate with Aliera to ask her?

As best I can figure, Aliera hoped her arrest would lead to Adron taking
action.  That's why she was so nonchalant about Khaavren coming to
arrest her.  As for Adron, I suppose we can just assume that he was so
outraged at what happened that he didn't think to, or want to[1], find
out what really happened.

I'm also somewhat surprised that Paarfi didn't predict this possible
question from the reader and try to answer it for us.[2]

Does anyone else have any possible explinations for why Adron and Aliera
didn't communicate with one another following her arrest?

Jag

[1]  There was a comment on how Adron was purposefully keeping some of
his 'steam' in so that he would attack the Emporer.

[2] Unless he did it in about the last 50 pages of the book, in which
case I'm going to feel really stupid once I get to that part again.